Sarah Schneider is a shareholder in the trademark and copyright practice group who works with clients concerning all aspects of trademark and copyright matters, including advertising, media, and technology law. Sarah works with clients from a range of industries, including general consumer products and services, consumer packaged goods, software, finance, aerospace, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and web 3.0 and works closely with clients to understand the nuances of their industry, goods, and services. Sarah is known for going the extra mile to help clients identify and achieve brand goals and in developing strategies around the same.
Sarah’s practice encompasses searching, clearing, filing and prosecuting domestic trademarks; maintaining, policing and defending trademark registrations and assisting clients in creating international trademark portfolios. Sarah works with clients to develop global filing strategies that include direct foreign and Madrid Protocol filings as well as working with foreign trademark professionals to record trademark transfers and to file and defend trademark oppositions and cancellations. Sarah also has experience in trademark and copyright litigation.
Sarah’s practice includes internet related trademark and copyright issues such as domain name disputes, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Proceedings, copyright and trademark infringement in website content and DMCA takedown notices as well as trademark issues related to internet advertising, fair use, search engine results, and user-generated content. Sarah’s experience includes working with clients in highly specialized and regulated industries, like aerospace, to navigate the challenges and issues unique to their work. This experience includes drafting high technology goods and services description and addressing aerospace technology issues that come up in trademark prosecution and enforcement as well as in reviewing and drafting related contracts and IP license.
A large portion of Sarah’s practice is devoted to working with and addressing clients’ brand concerns in the ever-changing Internet environment. She is particularly astute at working closely with clients in addressing issues related to online brand fraud. She counsels clients on assessing cybersquatting options and helping remove infringing content and products from the Internet. She also assists clients in taking action against brand phishing and related scams, sources counterfeit products, files trademarks and copyrights with customs, and works with local legal counsel worldwide to find and help stop infringers and counterfeiters.
Women’s Leadership Program, Yale School of Management Executive Education (2020)
GIAC Certified in Law of Data Security & Investigations (2017-2021)
University of Colorado School of Law (J.D., 2005)
University of Colorado (B.A., International Affairs; B.A., Political Science, 1998)
- Internet Related Counsel
- IP Transactions & Licensing
- Trademark Prosecution & Counseling
United States District Court, District of Colorado, 2012
Northern District of Illinois, 2014
Women’s Bar Association
Advisor: Blackstone Entrepreneurial Network (BEN)
International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association, Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section
International Trademark Association (INTA)
Public & Media Relations Committee, 2016-17
Free Trade Areas Subcommittee of the Harmonization of Trademark Law and Practice Committee, 2012-2013
Presentations and Publications:
- Speaker: Advanced Trade Dress Prosecution Including Responding to USPTO Rejections, AIPLA Bootcamp, September 2020.
- Author: TTAB Rules Acquired Distinctiveness Can Transfer to Intent-to-Use Applications for New Products/Services, but Standard Is Rigorous, International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, Feb. 15, 2018.
- Speaker: “Basics of Trademark Law,” US Patent & Trademark Office Presentation to Girl Scouts, November 2016
- Moderator/Speaker: “Digital Marketing As An Asset to Your Brand?” Managing Intellectual Property Luxury Brand Conference, April, 19, 2016.
- Speaker: Due Diligence for Trademarks in M&A Work, 2015 Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property Institute, May 28, 2015
- Speaker: Branding – What You Need to Know to Protect Your Brand Legally, Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce , June 25, 2012.
- Speaker: The Madrid System for the International Filing of Trademarks – Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Boulder Bar Association, 2012.
- Craft Brewed Trademarks, Law Week Colorado, June 2, 2014
- Sarah Schneider named to INTA Public & Media Relations Committee, 2016-17 read more
- Law Week Colorado — Craft Brewed Trademarks, June 2, 2014
- The number of craft breweries on the rise is making it a great time to be a beer drinker. Craft beer growth, however, has sparked a variety of trademark legal battles making it a challenging time to be a craft brewer.
- Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce — Branding, What You Need to Know to Protect Your Brand Legally
- It feels like a personal affront to receive a cease and desist letter just when your business is starting to turn heads. A cease and desist letter is a demand from a third party to stop using the name of your business because, well, it belongs to someone else. Should you have done something differently? Could this have been avoided?
Staples, Inc. v. li si heng of xiao gan shi, hu bei, II, FA 2009454 (Forum Sep. 14, 202) re staplesofficesupply.shop
Staples, Inc. and Staples, the Office Superstore, LLC v. Private by Design, LLC et al., FA 1984890 (Forum Mar. 11, 2022) re staplesadvantage.biz
Ball Corporation v. Hu Liao, FA 1921720 (Forum Dec. 18, 2020) re ball-mason-jar.com
Ball Corporation v. Jiahongnetwork Jiahongnetwork, FA 1919288 (Forum Dec. 14, 2020) re 39 .com domain names containing BALL
CVS Pharmacy, Inc. v. WhoisGuard, Inc. / Name Redacted, FA 1917322 (Forum Dec. 3, 2020) re cvshealthusa.com
CVS Heath Corporation, Aetna Inc., Prodigy Health Group, Inc. v. Meritain Health, FA 1892940 (Forum May 29, 2020); re meritainn.com
CVS Pharmacy, Inc. v. WhoisGuard, Inc. et al., FA 1883550 (Forum Mar. 5, 2020) re 48 .best domain names containing CVS
CVS Pharmacy, Inc. v. Alexander Shedrin, FA 1816288 (Forum Dec. 18, 2018) re cvsgolf.com
CVS Pharmacy, Inc. v. CVS Online Store, FA 1773209 (Forum Mar. 26, 2018) (cvsonline.store)
CVS Heath Corporation. and Omnicare, Inc. v. Glenna Hulett / Marcy C Miller, FA 1750666 (Forum Oct. 25, 2017) (omnicarecareer.com, omnicarecareers.com, omnicarecareerinc.com, omnicarecareersinc.com)
DaVita Inc v. Cynthia Rochelo, FA 1742941 (Forum Aug. 31, 2017) (davitahealthcare.us)
DaVita Inc v. Cynthia Rochelo, FA 1738034 (Forum July 20, 2017) (davitahealth.us)
MinuteClinic, L.L.C v. Pham Dinh Nhut, FA 1723633 (Forum Apr. 30, 2017) (minuteclinics.com)
CVS Pharmacy, Inc. v. Shop Admin/ CVS Online Pharmacy, FA 1694890 (Forum Oct. 25, 2016) (cvsonlinepharmacy.com)
Staples, Inc. and Staples the Office Superstore, LLC v. Whois Manager/Whois Privacy Management Service, FA 1656363 (Forum Feb. 19, 2016) (staplescare.com)
Corporate Express US Inc. v. Domain Administration Limited c/o David Halstead, FA 1217889 (Forum Sept. 18, 2008) (corporateexpres.com)
Staples, Inc. and Staples the Office Superstore, LLC v. Cpn Now, FA 1257595 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 9, 2009) (staples-coupon.com and staples-coupons.com)
World Trademark Review, 2019-2022
Colorado Super Lawyers, 2020-2021
Huski AI, Top 1% of US Trademark Lawyers, 2022