Miriam D. Trudell
Executive Committee, Shareholder
Mrs. Trudell has experience in all areas of trademark, copyright, and domain name law.
Her practice includes advising clients on domestic trademark protection and maintenance, including searching, clearing, filing, and prosecuting. She also has experience with Ex Parte practice and Opposition/Cancellation practice in front of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Her trademark practice includes advising clients and assisting with building and maintaining international trademark portfolios, including international trademark clearance, protection, prosecution, and maintenance.
Mrs. Trudell also advises clients in the area of copyright law, including the filing and prosecution of copyright registration applications with the U.S. Copyright Office. She also counsels clients on domain name disputes and has prosecuted a number of Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings. Further, she works with clients regarding policing, enforcing, defending, and licensing their intellectual property rights. Mrs. Trudell has achieved an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell and she was named the 2020 Lawyer of the Year in Trademark Law by Best Lawyers.
Vanderbilt University (B.E., Chemical Engineering, 1989)
University of Colorado School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- Intellectual Property in Employment
- Internet Related Counsel
- Trademark Prosecution & Counseling
United States District Court, District of Colorado, 1998
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1998
United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
American Bar Association (Intellectual Property Section)
Colorado Bar Association (Patent, Trademark and Copyright Section)
Denver Bar Association
International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Madrid System Subcommittee of the INTA Trademark Office Practices Committee, 2020-21 Committee Term
- Law & Practice – North America Subcommittee of the INTA Bulletins Committee, 2018-19 Committee Term – Appointed Co-Chair of the Subcommittee
- Features Subcommittee of the INTA Bulletins Committee, 2016-17 Committee Term – Appointed Co-Chair of the Subcommittee
- Features Subcommittee of the INTA Bulletins Committee, 2014-2015 Committee Term
- Association News Subcommittee of the INTA Bulletins Committee, 2012-2013 Committee Term
- Domain Disputes, Ownership and Whois Subcommittee of the Internet Committee, 2010-2011 Committee Term
- Whois Subcommittee of the Internet Committee, 2008-2009 Committee Term
Presentations and Publications:
- Speaker: “Global Branding Strategies,” AIPLA Corporate Practice Committee – Brown Bag Lunch Series, January 21, 2020.
- Author: “San Diego Comic Con Wins Infringement Suit and Attorney Fees in ‘Exceptional’ Case,” International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, July 2019.
- Presenter: ” Best Practices in Foreign Filing of Trademarks for U.S. Applicants – Madrid Protocol v. National Filings,” AIPLA Corporate Practice Committee – Brown Bag Lunch Series, April 18, 2017
- Presenter: “Intellectual Property and Marijuana Legalization,” CLE International Conference on Recreational Marijuana, April 12, 2016.
- Presenter and Panelist, International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition (IACC) 2015 Fall Conference, “Stirring the Pot: Facing Obstacles & Exploring Creative Ways of Enforcing Your Mark,” October 2015
- Author,” Choosing Between International and National Trademark Registrations for U.S. Trademark Owners Part 2,” International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, Oct. 15, 2015.
- Author, “Marijuana in the U.S.—Some States Let You Smoke It, But You Can’t Register a Trademark for It at the USPTO,” International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, Aug. 1, 2015
- Author, “Issues to Consider in Assignments of U.S. Trademark Applications and Registrations,” International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, Nov. 15, 2014
- Author, “Choosing Between Madrid Protocol and National Trademark Filings in the United States, Part 1,” International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, August 1, 2014.
- Host/Moderator – Luncheon Table Topic, INTA Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas, May 7, 2013, International Registrations for U.S. Applicants: Is the Madrid Protocol Working for You?
- Author, “Is the Madrid Protocol Working for U.S. Trademark Owners,” June 3, 2013, Law Week Colorado
- Author, “Playboy Uncovers Key Facts Concerning Registration for Rival BUNNY,” International Trademark Association’s INTA Bulletin, Jan. 15, 2011.
RD Fashion Group LLC v. Joseph McEvoy d/b/a Ridin Dirty Inc. (T.T.A.B. 2017), Represented clothing retailer in successful cancellation action against the mark “RYDIN DIRTY”
Wright & McGill Co. v. Gerald A. Basden (T.T.A.B. 2015), Represented fishing tackle manufacturer in successful opposition to an application for the mark “EAGLE CLAW”
Barbera 1870 S.p.A. v. Barbera Caffe’ S.p.A. (T.T.A.B. 2014), Represented Barbera Caffe’ S.p.A. in successful Motion to Dismiss a Petition to Cancel its U.S. Registration for “CAFE BARBERA” under the doctrine of res judicata
Barbera 1870 S.p.A. v. Barbera Caffe’ S.p.A. (T.T.A.B. 2013), Represented Barbera Caffe’ S.p.A. in successful defense of its application to register the mark “CAFE BARBERA”
Cristiano Di Thiene S.p.A. v. Lazaridis E. Panagoitis (T.T.A.B. 2013), Represented clothing manufacturer in successful opposition to an application for the mark “AERONAUTICA MILITARE”
Alpine Banks of Colorado v. Sishi c/o Shishi Chen, FA0801001140408 (Nat. Arb. Forum Mar. 17, 2008) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of alpinebankingcorp.com).
Centura Health Corporation v. Jasper Developments c/o domain manager, FA0607000751616 (Nat. Arb. Forum Aug. 24, 2006) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of centurahealth.org).
Vicorp Restaurants, Inc. v. Paradigm Technologies Inc. c/o Arden Bohanec, FA0605000702527 (Nat. Arb. Forum June 21, 2006) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of bakerssquare.com).
Amen Wardy Home, Inc. v. Amen Wardy Home, FA0510000583006 (Nat. Arb. Forum Oct. 26, 2005) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of amenwardy.com and amenwardyhome.com).
Estate of Hunter S. Thompson v. Mitchell Moore, FA0508000530332 (Nat. Arb. Forum Sept. 15, 2005) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of huntersthompson.com).
VICORP Restaurants, Inc. v. Anastasios Triantafillos, FA0505000485933 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 14, 2005) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of bakersquare.com).
MediaNews Group Interactive, Inc. v. Mo Domains, FA0505000470925 (Nat. Arb. Forum June 6, 2005) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of vacavillerporter.com).
Wild Marks, Inc. v. email@example.com (Nat. Arb. Forum March 29, 2004) (Domain name dispute, successful recovery of henrysmarketplace.com).
In re Coors, 343 F. 3d 1340, 68 USPQ2d 1059 (Fed. Cir. 2003)
5280 Magazine Top Denver Attorneys, 2018-2020
Best Lawyers® in America, 2018-2020, Lawyer of the Year – Trademark Law, 2020
Managing Intellectual Property, Top 250 Women in IP, 2015
Colorado Super Lawyers, 2012 – 2019
World Trademark Review’s WTR 1000, individual recognition, 2014-2020
Colorado Super Lawyers, also recognized on the Top 50 Women list, 2013
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated