Joe practices intellectual property law, with an emphasis in patent prosecution, patent litigation, mediation of patent disputes and in the licensing of intellectual property rights.
With his technical training in biochemistry and molecular, cellular and developmental biology, Joe represents many innovators in the medical device and biosciences fields. His varied practice includes both patent prosecution and enforcement of intellectual property rights, often involving the mediation, arbitration or litigation of intellectual property issues. For over 25 years, Joe has prosecuted hundreds of patents to issuance, structured numerous licensing transactions, and participated in arbitrations, mediations, litigations, and appeals. He has developed a varied practice directed towards the appreciation of intellectual property values and the pursuit of opportunities to advance the interests of his clients.
Joe has also recently served as a visiting professor for the Daniels College of Business at Denver University in its Executive MBA Program offering an Overview of Intellectual Property Law.
Joe is involved with various charitable groups, previously serving on the board of The Children’s Hospital Research Foundation. He has also taught intellectual property law classes as an adjunct professor at the University of Denver, is a guest lecturer at CU’s Entrepreneurship school and presents at various inventor groups in the Denver area.
University of Denver College of Law (J.D., 1986)
University of Colorado (Graduate study in Molecular, Cellular, Developmental Biology, 1981-1982)
University of Colorado (B.A., Biochemistry: Molecular, Cellular, Developmental Biology; Philosophy, 1981)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property in Employment
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Office Post Grant Proceedings
- Patent Prosecution
- Trade Secrets and Confidentiality
- Business Methods
- Green Technology
- Life Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
District of Columbia, 1990
United States District Court, District of Colorado
United States District Court, Northern District of California
United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
United States Supreme Court, 1992
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1988
Alternative Dispute Registration Registry (AIPLA)
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Bar Association, Biosciences Division
American Chemical Society
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
California Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
CDR Associate Training
CHV Sanitation District
Colorado Bar Association
Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Denver Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
Presentations and Publications:
- Author: Integrative Cancer Science and Therapeutics Cancer Moonshot: Patents-4-Patients – EXTENDED!, March 2019.
- Speaker – “Protecting Microbiome-Related IP and Strategies” – 3rd Annual Microbiome-Based Precision Medicine Symposium at the Tri-Conference March 2019 San Francisco, CA
- Author: “Cancer Moonshot: Patents for Patients” Trends in Cancer, August 2018.
- Speaker/Author: “Supreme Court Developments,” Defense Research Institute, April 2018.
- Speaker: “BioBreakfast: IPRs, Mayo and a Cancer Moonshot,” Colorado BioScience Association, March 2018.
- Speaker: “IPRs, Mayo and a Cancer Moonshot,” Microbiome-Based Precision Medicine Conference, Cambridge Innovation Institute, San Francisco, California, February 15, 2018.
- Speaker: “Cancer Moonshot: Obtaining Patents on Oncologic Therapies,” 15th Annual Discovery on Target, Cambridge Innovation Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, September 2017.
- Author: Intellectual Property Duty to Disclose Guide “IADC Intellectual Property Committee” July 2017.
- Author: “A Fed. Circ. Failure and The Constitutionality of IPR,” Law360, 2017.
- Author: International Association of Defense Counsel – “What Is a Patent? The Constitutionality of Claim Invalidation in Inter Partes Review and ITC Proceedings,” 2017.
- Moderator: “Intellectual Property Issues in Acquisitions and Financing,” American Chemical Society National Conference, Denver, Colorado, 2015.
- Shareholder Joe Kovarik provides his view of the role and advantages of mediation in today’s world of patent disputes, Defense Research Institute (DRI) IP Update Spring 2016. Click here to read the full article.
- Kovarik recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2017 read more…
- Sheridan Ross Shareholder Joe Kovarik joined the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), an exclusive, invitation only organization comprised of 2,500 inside and outside counsel and insurance industry executives representing companies across the world…read more.
Lenox MacLaren v. Medtronic Sofamor Danek, (D. Colo.) — Counsel for plaintiff in action for intentional interference with business relations involving a patented surgical device.
Karol Designs v. Burton Snowboards, (D. Colo.) — Counsel for plaintiff in action for patent infringement of a step-in snowboard system.
Dr. Glen Kelly v. Goretex, (D. Colo.) — Counsel for plaintiff in action Involving inventorship rights directed to a patented artificial blood vessel.
Cargill v. Swift United States, (N.D. Tex.) — Counsel for defendant in action for patent infringement involving meat processing systems directed to the electrostimulation of muscle to increase tenderness qualities thereof.
OrthoTain v. Rocky Mountain Orthodontics, (N.D. Ill.) — Counsel for plaintiff in action for breach of contract and counterclaims for patent misuse involving orthodontic appliances.
Callicrate v. Wadsworth Manufacturing, (D. Mont.) — Counsel for plaintiff patent holder involving cattle castration devices.
WCM v. American Brass and Aluminum, (D. Colo.) — Counsel for plaintiff in an action for patent infringement of a plumbing device.
Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2021
Colorado Super Lawyers, 2010-2021
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated