With more than 25 years of experience in patent prosecution, technology licensing, and intellectual property counseling, Doug represents national and international companies in global intellectual property audits, strategic planning processes, and due diligence investigations, competitive patent landscape analysis, and product and process clearance reviews.
His extensive experience allows him to advise clients in the development of a customized global intellectual property protection plan reflecting the unique competitive pressures, business goals, funding constraints, and personnel capabilities of each business enterprise.
He has considerable expertise in hardware and software, Internet technology, business methods, telecommunications, wireless communications, optical devices, chemical and metallurgical processes, clean technology, water purification, textiles, aluminum alloys, magnets, and energy storage, automotive, and medical devices.
Early in his career, he was a clerk for Justice Erickson of the Colorado Supreme Court and an extern for Judge Dorothy Nelson of the Ninth Circuit.
Doug has been recognized by Law Week Colorado as Barrister’s Best Intellectual Property Attorney in 2013 and as a Lawyer of the Year in 2012-2014. He has achieved an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
UCLA School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1987, Editor, UCLA Law Review, 1986-1987
Colorado School of Mines, B.S., Mining Engineering, Minor in Metallurgical Engineering (1982) with high scholastic honors
- Intellectual Property in Employment
- Patent Office Post Grant Proceedings
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Search Services
- Technology Transactions and Licensing
- Trade Secrets and Confidentiality
- Business Methods
- Computer Hardware & Software
- Electrical Engineering
- Green Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1991
American Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
California Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
AIME, TMS, Iron and Steel Society
Presentations and Publications:
- Speaker: “Freedom-to-Operate and IP Landscapes,” 16th Annual Rocky Mountain IP and Technology Law Institute, Colorado Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, June 2018.
- Speaker: “Mitigating IP Risk: Six Things You Can Do,” 15th Annual Rocky Mountain IP and Technology Law Institute, Westminster, Colorado, June 2017.
- Speaker: “Who Will Own the Technology? IP and Contracts,” Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Vancouver, British Columbia, 2015.
- Speaker: “Global IP Strategy,” American Chemical Society National Conference, Denver, Colorado, 2015.
- Mr. Swartz has presented to SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) Colorado and CLE in Colorado, Inc.
- Q&A with Flextronics GC Jonathan Hoak, Daily Journal, Nov. 19, 2015 — Hoak is quoted as saying, “For IP…the main partner we rely on is Doug Swartz at Sheridan Ross.” Click here to read the full article.
- Bloomberg BNA’s Patent Trademark & Copyright Journal — Sheridan Ross Shareholder Doug Swartz was interviewed for an article marking the two year anniversary of post-grant opposition proceedings. The article addressed the America Invents Act, First-Inventor-to File, Post-Grant proceedings, challenges and impact of Oppositions. Read more…
Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Colorado Super Lawyers, 2012-2018
Barrister’s Best Intellectual Property Attorney, 2013
Member Tau Beta Pi Honor Society