Brad is a shareholder and past president of the firm. In his practice, he has prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications for clients in a wide range of technological disciplines.
His clients consider him an experienced and trusted advisor. Brad manages complex portfolios of work for domestic and international clients. In his practice, he prepares and prosecutes patent applications, prepares opinions and agreements, and counsels clients regarding intellectual property protection strategies.
Brad takes a keen interest in the technologies that he works with each day. These include semiconductors, image sensors, displays, LIDAR systems, antennas, memory, computer security, software, medical devices, fuel cells, communication systems and many more.
With degrees in philosophy and electrical engineering, Brad is particularly adept at claiming inventions broadly and with accuracy. He applies an innovative style to protecting inventions in a changing legal landscape.
Colorado School of Mines (B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1998)
University of Colorado School of Law (J.D., 1993)
Goucher College (B.A., Philosophy, 1990)
- Intellectual Property in Employment
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Search Services
- Trade Secrets and Confidentiality
- Business Methods
- Computer Hardware & Software
- Electrical Engineering
- Green Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1998
American Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Presentations and Publications:
- Judge: Interdisciplinary Ethics Tech Competition, University of Colorado, February 2018.
- Judge: MedTech Innovators Conference, 2017-2018
- Speaker: “Alumni Connections,” Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association, March 8, 2017
- Speaker, “Patent Strategies to Strike Back Following the ‘Alice Storm’ Aftermath,” The Knowledge Group, August 11, 2016
- Author, “Lessons to Take from Two District Court Denials of Patent Eligibility,” Inside Counsel, March 6, 2015
- Author, “Tips for Patent Prosecution Strategies Post-Alice,” Inside Counsel, Feb. 20, 2015
- Author, “What Are the Practical Applications of the New Patent Eligibility Test?” Inside Counsel, Feb. 6, 2015
- Author, “The New Methods for Drafting Patent Applications Post-Alice,” InsideCounsel, January 23, 2015
- Author, “Practical Considerations for Addressing Patent Eligibility during the Pleading Stage,” InsideCounsel, January 9, 2015
- Author, “Evaluation of Inventions for Patenting and Preparation of Invention Disclosures Post-Alice” InsideCounsel, December 26, 2014
- “Provisional Patents: Cost-Effective Protection?” Law Week Colorado, December 5, 2013.
- Lecturer, “Capturing Innovations in your Company,” 9th Annual Intellectual Property & Technology Institute, June 2011.
- “Four Essential Steps to Preserve Patent Rights.” IEEE GOLD newsletter Gold Rush, December 2010.
- Software Patent Claims get Post-Alice Clarity — Law Week Colorado, Oct. 3, 2016
- Wave Of USPTO Alice Rejections Has Cos. Tweaking Strategies — Law 360, Nov. 2, 2015
Nathan Burkan Memorial Award, University of Colorado, 1993