Sheridan Ross P.C. is seeking a part-time General Counsel to support our firm. This position oversees and manages the provision of all legal services to the law firm to ensure maximum protection of its legal rights and to maintain its operations within the limits prescribed by law. The General Counsel provides strategic guidance, consultation, and support to Management (as defined below) on a comprehensive range of legal issues.
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to the board of directors, officers, other upper management, and operational staff (“Management”) on all legal matters relevant to law firm, including, rules of professional conduct and ethics, personnel law, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, contracts and grants, tax matters, worker’s compensation, liability and insurance matters, purchases, affirmative action, and other laws and regulations.
- Functions as the Chief Compliance Officer, including ethics, professional responsibility, conflict clearance, and other operational compliance matters.
- Functions as the Corporate Secretary and the duties outlined in the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels Management in order to develop legal strategies and solutions, including financial risk or significance, and with limited time for assessing alternatives.
- Reviews, researches, interprets, and prepares both written and oral opinions on a wide variety of legal issues.
- Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, and other legal documents.
- Reviews contracts, leases, and other legal documents; research legal issues and recommends revisions as necessary.
- Functions as in-house employment counsel to HR; involved with lateral hiring and conflict clearance thereof.
- Represents or oversees the representation of the law firm and upper management in judicial and administrative proceedings.
- Selects, retains, and manages outside counsel, as required, to obtain legal opinions or to handle claims and litigation.
- Provides training to the law firm on ethics and other professional responsibility issues, including, conflict and risk management.
- Responsible for professional liability insurance renewal process and seeking to lower insurance on a year over year basis.
- Assists with client engagement and disengagement issues.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school; at least 10 years of law firm experience in good standing in the State of Colorado.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Ability to provide competent legal advice and counsel to Management on a wide range of legal and policy issues.
- Knowledge of the range of applicable laws and regulations which impact on all facets of law firm operations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret issues and to prepare legal opinions.
- Knowledge of current and developing legal issues and trends in area of expertise.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of legal professionals, paraprofessionals, and consultants.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of legal research.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Negotiating skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of law firm policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which it operate.
- Knowledge of contract law.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of the judicial system and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal documentation procedures and requirements.
- Ability to develop and implement legal strategies and solutions.
- Knowledge of community legal resources.
Sheridan Ross is committed to fostering an environment that embraces and promotes equality, diversity, and inclusiveness where everyone has the opportunity to excel. We encourage our professionals to be themselves and share their perspectives, experiences, and insights. Individuals seeking employment at Sheridan Ross are considered without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or genetic information, among other protected bases.
Sheridan Ross offers a competitive pay and benefits package to full-time employees including health care benefits, personal paid time off, paid holidays, 401(k) matching, discretionary bonus, parking reimbursement, and more.
Base Salary Range: $125,000 – $175,000 for a part-time (approximately 1,000 hours per year)
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume to email@example.com.